My 5 Favorite Windows Keyboard Shortcuts
I have a hard time changing old habits, but have really made a concerted effort to incrementally move forward with keyboard shortcuts.
Here are five that I have started using regularly that have made a big impact on my work productivity:
Toggle and Select Open Window or Application
- “ALT + TAB” — toggles between open windows
Open New File Explorer Window
- “WIN + E” — Open new File Explorer Window
Empty Recycle Bin
- “CTRL + ALT + E” — Empties Recycle Bin (This is a custom shortcut I created using NirCmd (you can download it here). NirCmd is an open source utility tool — very slick.
The following article does a great job of stepping through how to do this — it’s easy!
Snap Active Window to Left or Right Side of Monitor
- “WIN + →” & WIN + ←” — Snaps the active window to the Right or Left side of the screen. (→ and ← indicates Right or Left arrow key).
Minimize or Maximize the Active Window
- “WIN + UP arrow key” & “WIN + DOWN arrow key” — Maximize or Minimize the active Window.
NOTE: If you want to FULLY minimize the active Window, then the keyboard shortcut is “WIN + DOWN + DOWN” (down arrow key twice)
Those are my “fab 5”! Do you have any windows keyboard shortcuts that you would recommend?
“It’s time for different”
Don is passionate about helping professionals and organizations keep up and adapt to the changing business world that we operate in.
“What Do You Do?”
I frequently get this question. My response (it’s not what you think!)? Check it out here!